The European Regulation 1177/2010 of 24 November 2010 on the rights of passengers when travelling by sea and inland waterway (link to doc.) establishes rules as regard to (among others) non-discrimination and assistance for disabled persons and persons with reduced mobility.
The rights of disabled persons and PRMs are described in Chapter II:
- No refusal of reservation and of embarkation (except for safety reasons)
- Non-discriminatory access conditions
- Assistance in ports and on board ships free of charge
- Designation of meeting points
- Quality standards for the assistance
- Compensation for lost or damaged mobility equipment
Annex II specifies the assistance in ports, including embarkation and disembarkation.
Annex III specifies the assistance on boards.
The training needs are defined in Article 14 and Annex IV describes the training requirements.